The Salvation Army gives two lots to the city for an urban park | Indiana

0

The city expects to move forward with urban park plans between Melbourne Avenue and 4th Street and along Market Street between 3rd and 5th Streets.

At a meeting of the Public Works and Safety Council, the three-member panel agreed to acquire the two lots on 4th Street belonging to the Salvation Army. The empty lots are located at 417 and 423 4th St. opposite the old Salvation Army building.

Dep. Mayor Jacob Pomasl said the lots were donated by the Salvation Army to the city for the use of the park. Both entities have signed the documents, which will be sent to Cass County Title for the title.

The idea for the urban park would provide a downtown outdoor concert arena and pavilion, Logansport Parks Department Administrator Jan Fawley said at a Parks Department meeting in January. These sites would be located on the property near the south area of ​​the East-West Alley between 3rd and 5th Streets and adjacent to Melbourne Avenue and Market Street.

In addition to the concert hall, the park, which is only a concept at this point, could feature a water fountain, a pavilion with a concession stand nearby, a ping-pong and tennis court. cornhole with an option for a fire pit, and a place for a mobile ice rink for the winter. The site would also open up an option for an apartment complex with a commercial establishment on site.

Coupled with the idea of ​​a downtown park, the city continues to improve infrastructure. Council awarded Central Paving a contract to mill, repair and resurface the annex, which includes the following streets behind Home Depot: Kingston Drive, Lexington Road (east of Yorktown), Kingsmill Drive, Youngstown Lane , Hampshire Drive, Georgian Lane, Jamestown Drive and Princeton Lane.

The paving project is expected to begin this spring.

The Main Street Revitalization Project (MSRP) also hopes to kick off this spring. Planning Department executive director Arin Shaver said the language of the contract between the city, the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA) and the contractor needs to be assessed.

She expects the agreement to be signed within the next two weeks. Once that’s done, work should be able to begin, possibly with behind-the-scenes projects starting by April or May.

Several downtown businesses will have their awnings, facades, exterior cladding and windows replaced. This $ 600,000 project is part of a matching grant funded by OCRA.

FIREFIGHTERS

The Logansport Fire Department has had a full-time position open for approximately three years. So, on Wednesday, the board approved LFD chief Rick Bair’s hiring of Cass County Adam Nolte as a full-time firefighter.

Nolte graduated from Logansport High School in 2013 and has been employed at Anderson’s in Walton for a year. He was also a member of the Miami Township Volunteer Fire Department for two years. He has received state level certifications in Firefighter I, II, Technical Rescue Awareness, EMR and Haz-Mat Operations and is currently enrolled in an Emergency Medical Technician class.

Nolte thanked the board for the approval and said he was happy to have the opportunity to serve the community and “follow in my father’s footsteps”.

His father, Jason, retired from the Logansport Fire Department in May 2018 after serving more than 20 years with the service.

But getting board approval wasn’t easy.

Clerk-Treasurer Duane Ullom pointed out that the hiring could mean a potential financial shortfall for the fire department.

Bair assured him that the finances had been worked out with the right committees. The concern has arisen over the possibility that former firefighter Scott Jones is seeking to return to his post. He was suspended without pay in 2018 after being arrested for criminal detention with bodily harm, assault and battery resulting in moderate bodily harm and interference in the reporting of a crime.

His jury trial begins on June 15 at Cass Superior Court 1.

Lisa Terry, a board member, asked what would happen if Jones ever wanted to return to work and if the city was ready in case he chose to sue over back wages.

City attorney Kelly Leeman said it was theoretically possible for Jones to take legal action, but would not be welcome to return to work.

No matter what the future holds, Mayor Chris Martin has said the city will be ready to face any consequences or outcomes.

And if it ever came to this, Bair said Nolte was fully aware that he might have to be sacked. Given the accusations, however, Bair remains confident that these issues will not materialize. Also, he said, he needs a full roster – he has 33 filled positions and needs 34. Nolte fills that amount.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply